Sunday, February 18, 2007

Willow

Oh! How the mighty are fallen -
after thinking I was god or
the devil for an eternity
I found myself in the same
sordid world as the rest of you -
where homophobes shriek abuse
outside Centra, and even work inside.
Feeling afraid I don't answer back but
walking faster, cheeks flushing with shame
that surely isn't mine.

Oh! How the mighty are fallen -
after thinking I was the devil or
god for an eternity
I find myself in the same
serene world as the rest of you -
opening up then to a vision of what's real
I plant my own two feet squarely down
taking my own space
growing upwards and outwards
like a willow, though surely no sylph.

Oh! How the fallen become mighty –
Supple and bending, spreading
over and onwards each delicate
green leaf a new feeling
each fragile green feeling a new leaf
in the rewrite of the rest of my life
no bible in my garden of hades to
guide or accuse but those other
travelling journeywomen whose names
are shouted unheard.

(c) Liz Willows 2000

No comments: